Natural Gas Safety

The 3 R's of Natural Gas Safety

Recognize:  Signs of a natural gas leak include:

A "rotten egg" odor   -   A blowing or hissing sound   -   Dead or discolored vegetation in an otherwise green area   -   Flames, if a leak is ignited   -   Dirt or dust blowing from a hole in the ground   -

-   Bubbling in wet flooded areas   -

React:      If you suspect a natural gas leak, follow these steps:

Leave the area immediately and call us at 784-9212 (8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.)  -   Call the emergency number (police department @ 784-1322 if after hours   -   Do not use electrical devices, light switches, telephones,

appliances or your garage door opener   -   Do not use an open flame, matches or lighters   -   If the natural gas ignites, let it burn.  Do not put out the flame; burning gas will not explode   -   Do not try to shut off any

 gas valves or appliances   -  Do not start your vehicles   -   Do not reenter the structure until it has been inspected  

Report:     It is important that you call about natural gas emergencies:

Go to a safe area and make the call   -   We will respond promptly and at no charge   -   Calls can be made 24 hours a day, 7 days a week   -

 Carbone Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide is an odorless and toxic gas, often called the "Silent Killer".  This gas is extremely dangerous.

Victims often don't recognize the symptoms until it is too late.  Headaches, fatigue, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and the inability to think clearly are all the tell-tale signs of the poisoning.  If you suspect you or someone else in the structure has carbon monoxide poisoning seek medical help immediately and move to a well-ventilated area outside the structure and then call Humboldt Utilities at 784-9212 (Monday through Friday - 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.).  If after business hours contact the Police Department at 784-1322. 

Carbon Monoxide detectors can be purchased to detect the presence of carbon monoxide in your home.  To prevent carbon monoxide in your home, make sure all natural gas appliances, such as your gas water heater, furnace, and space heaters are vented to the outside.  Keep chimneys and flues clear of all debris and use gas space heaters only according to the manufacturer's insructions.

It is recommended that you have your gas appliances inspected annually by a licensed professional.

  Call Before You Dig

811 is a federally mandated phone number designed by the Federal Communications Commission to consolidate all local "Call Before You Dig" numbers.

One easy, FREE phone call to 811 at least three business days prior to any construction or digging on your property starts the process to get your underground pipelines and utility lines marked for your safety.

Once you make the phone call to 811, local pipeline and utility operators will come out and locate and properly mark pipelines and utilities at your proposed excavation site, at no cost to you.  This ensures that digging will not interfere with the safe operation of the lines.  Once the underground lines have been marked for your project, you will know the location of your pipelines and utility lines and can dig safely.

Remember, it's the law to call before digging in order to avoid risking a potential unsafe situation or interrupted utility service.

New Customer Portal
and Paperless Billing

One-Time Bill
Payment


Contact Us
For Assistance Please Call
731.784.9212Make a Payment by Phone: 1.877.582.1923Office Hours: M-F: 8 am-5 pm

207 South 13th Avenue
PO Box 850 • Humboldt, TN 38343
(731) 784-4504 (Fax)